Saturday, September 3, 2011

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

Title: Ripple

Author: Mandy Hubbard

Genera: Paranormal Romance

Subjects: Sirens, Curses, Love

Length: 260 pgs. Hardcover

Rating: ê ê ê ê

Lexi is a siren. Cursed to swim and sing every night rather than sleep. Ever since she turned 16. Before she understood her urges, she killed her boyfriend Steven in the ocean. Haunted by this, she stopped swimming in the ocean and searched for secluded lakes.

Now, two years after his death, she finally has some good changes in her life. Cole is starting to like her, Sienna is starting to forgive her. A new kid named Erik claims he can break Lexi’s curse if they fall in love. This book has some very complex things going on.

I overall liked it. It’s written in present tense, so it’s easy and fast passed to read. I like both guy that Lexi’s with. Cole seems cool, and Erik seems hot. It seems like there a Siren trend in fiction right now. The siren in this book is similar to a mermaid, but with out the tail. It reminded me of Tricia Rayburn’s series. And Nixes? Never heard of them. An offshoot of Nixies? I won’t go into it.

The setting in on Oregon’s coast. I love costal settings because I’ve never been to the ocean. I love picturing them in my head. I will add that this book does have funny quotes in it. It’s too bad they didn’t sell it at the store. I got it from the library.

Anyways, fans of mermaids and sirens will love this story.

Art Review:

I really liked the cover. I wish it has a awesome texture, but it’s just glossy. I love the dress the girl’s wearing, and the water in the background. They go together nicely. The lighting’s a little weird, and I’m not used to vertical titles, otherwise it works.

Extra:

I wrote a poem based off this book:

Loved and Let Go

I left him to keep him safe.

I felt so wrong to leave.

I doubt he will ever forgive me.

I know he’s better off without me.

He will miss me,

As I miss him.

He will never know that

That together was something

We shouldn’t have been.

Because I’m dangerous.

Because I’m a siren.

I don’t want to hurt him.

In my heart I know

I still love him.

So I let him go.

Our love may not fade

For many, many seasons.

I know I did all the wrong things

For all the right reasons.

And in the future,

He will be free.

I won’t have to worry if

He will be hurt by me.



~Haley G

No comments:

Post a Comment