Sunday, August 21, 2011

Memento Nora by Angie Smibert

Memento Nora by Angie Smibert
Title: Memento Nora
Author: Angie Smibert
Genera: Dystopian Science Fiction
Subjects: resistance to government, comics, terrorism, consumerism, memory
Length: 184 pgs. Hardcover
Rating: ê ê ê ê
After a bombing in the mall that Nora and her mom were at, Nora has her first visit to TFC to get her memory of the bombing erased. Nora doesn’t take the pill because she saw a guy write “memento” on his cast and spit the pill out. She also didn’t go through with it because of what her mom said about her dad insulting her. Later on, Nora runs into the guy, whose name is Micah and he goes to her school. Micah’s into drawing comic, so Nora and him start working on a comic called “Memento” about what they want to remember.
The book has some really interesting world building in it. I was confused at first, but then understood how everything was connected (and will not spoil that). Basically, consumerism is valued, and if you don’t, you could be a terrorist. Actually, I was thinking about how this book’s consumerist society might be a dystopian solution to or economic problems. This book is set in the DC area, and thing supposedly blow up around the city all the time. Some group called the “Coalition.”
I liked the idea of making a comic. It was a cool twist that I’ve never seen in dystopian books as a way to resist. I like drawing manga to, so I understood what Micah was doing.
Art Review: I thought this was a graphic novel at first. The cover makes me think of sci-fi chic…the hairstyle of the girl looks like a futuristic short bob. I really like the clouds in the sky above the city. Purple clouds.
~Haley G

No comments:

Post a Comment