Friday, August 19, 2011

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton


Title: Blood Magic
Author: Tessa Gratton
Series: The Blood Journals
Genera: Supernatural/paranormal romance
Subjects: Magic, witches, death, immortality, blood, Missouri
Length: 405 pgs. Hardcover
Rating: ê ê ê
After Silla’s parents are killed, she receives a spell book that appears to be written in her father’s hand writing. Silla shows her brother that the magic is real. Nicholas Pardee moves in next store and see’s Silla do one of the spells in the cemetery. Nick already knows about the magic. He’s seen his mother do it when he was little. Blood is a necessary sacrifice in making a spell work, but Nick is afraid to tell Silla how dangerous the magic can be so he doesn’t let her know he knows. Silla and Nick fall for each other even though people at school warn him that Silla is “messed up” after her parents dying.
I thought this book would be really good. I just didn’t get into it because it’s somewhat different from the paranormal romance YA book I’m used to-I don’t know how, but it is. Maybe it’s the metaphorical masks that Silla wears…I was confused and thought she was literally wearing masks. I like Nick still. He calls her step mom Lilith, though that’s not her name. He’s poetic and cares for Silla.
The atmosphere of this book was pretty cool. Creepy. If it was closer to Halloween, I would definitely be more into it. I liked the mystery of who Josephine Darly was in relation to the main character. The story kept me guessing.
I recommend this books if you like dark magic and immortality stories, or mysterious stories.
Art Review:
I love the cover. Blood Magic in metallic red letters, a metallic forest with a soft-matte texture. The girl and the flower and red crows are glossy . It’s a well done cover.
~Haley G

No comments:

Post a Comment